Digi Stamps, Vintage Images, Digi Images, Image Transfers, Printables... everything for your paper crafting needs. New images and word art are posted every day.



Your "go to" blog for beauty, inspiration, digi goodness and new ideas! Serving the Digi Scrapbook and Card Makers and Journaling world for over 25 Years~!

* TIP JAR*

DONATE: Do you like what you see?, did it help you grow? Leave a little tip, to let me know. In case you would like to leave a tip to help keep all the freebies coming, safe and on one site. Thank you.





Sunday, January 1, 2012

First Foot Day..

The custom of firstfooting, or being the first to cross the threshold of a home in the early hours of New Year's Day, was so popular in England and Scotland during the 19th century that the streets were often more crowded between midnight and one o'clock in the morning than they would normally be at midday.  If the "First Foot," traditionally a man, was to bring the family luck, he had to arrive with his arms full of cakes, bread, and cheese for everyone to share. 
He should be dark-haired, not fair, and must not have flat feet.
Today the custom may still be observed in Britain and in scattered areas of the United States.

What guest stepped over your threshold first?

8 comments:

  1. Good to read tradition tales. My youngest son was first in our door (before midnight though!) otherwise it was my hubby followed by me x
    He is dark haired .... but have not took any notice of his feet Lol (we have only been married 23 yrs).

    Happy New Year, hugs sally x
    sallysbitz.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting custom that I had never heard of. I learn so many things from you! No one has stepped over our threshold yet - we're still in our jammies and may stay that way all day long! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  3. My daughter stepped over my threshold at 2:00am ... home from babysitting for her big sister's boys, so she could have a much needed night out! x

    ReplyDelete
  4. my son's girlfriend stayed with us for the weekend and then some other friends dropped by this morning. what a beautiful way to begin the new year! may it be filled with family and friends all year through! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. My brother was the first over our threshold ... he brought gifts (we're doing Christmas with him, my other brother and his wife and baby). My mum always used to say that the First Footer had to bring food, money and a piece of coal so the home fire always burned, there was always food on the table and money to spend.
    Happy New Year everyone!
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Umm, my husband with the newspaper. Funny custom!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not been out myself other than put some food out for the birds so it was the eldest Daughter and her boyfriend who let in our new year so l hope this leads to a wedding for her............lol Have a lovely new year:) Sandra H

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've never heard of this tradition before but I love it...gonna try to get it started here next year:) we were all home before midnight but my husband was the first to cross the door...he had to bring the dog for his morning walk...heeheehee. Thanks for everything Paulette. I REALLY appreciate you:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments, they are appreciated.
Paulette